Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Surprise

She heard the calling bell, she looked at the clock and it was showing 4:15. She knew that it would be her son. She was a little worried a minute ago, because her son would usually return home from school at 3:50. She opened the door and saw both her son and her husband. She looked at her husband and exclaimed, "You are very early today!!".
Her husband smiled gently, but she could see something very different in his face. His face showed pain! She asked, "What's wrong?". Her son went inside the house and sat on the sofa and placed his school bag in his lap and he bend over his bag and stared at the floor. She looked at her son and asked, "Why are you looking very gloomy? What's wrong?". Her son dint answer, he kept on staring at the floor.
Her husband walked a couple steps in and looked at her and said, "I very well know that today is your birthday". She blushed; she also knew that he cannot forget her birthday.
He continued, "I thought I could give you a surprise". She raised her eyebrows.
He said, "You were asking me for a cycle. I thought I could buy you a scooty"
She smiled and looked at her husband affectionately. He continued, "So I put a couple of hours permission today and I thought of buying the Scooty in the showroom which was opposite to our son's school"
She immediately rushed to the window and peeped outside, she was neither able to see his bike nor a scooty. She asked, "Where is it?"
Her husband replied, "I wanted to make your birthday memorable. I know I made this birthday memorable.. but not in the way I wanted"
She exclaimed, "What happened? Why are you looking sad? Why is he staring at the floor? What happened?"
He said, "I was on my way to the showroom. I was just 5 mins away I took the turn to the school road when a lorry which was coming in wrong direction hit me!"
She exclaimed, "What happened!! You look alright..Did the Bike got any damage"
He remained silent. She said, "I'm happy that you are ok. I want nothing.. tell me what happened.. why are you looking sad...."
Her son replied without taking his eyes off the floor, "Dad died!!"
She wanted to rebuke her son for talking rubbish but she was not able to speak, she felt heaviness in her heart, tears were rolling down from her eyes, she don't know why!
She looked back at her husband, and saw in his face the pain.. the pain of bidding farewell to loved ones. He smiled and disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment