Friday, March 6, 2009

The Lunatic

He walked towards me and said, "You are not lunatic"
I showed him some funny faces. He shook his head. I know that he was not convinced, I made some noise and jumped a couple of times. He gently smiled and said, "I'm watching you for the past 1 week. I know very well that you are not lunatic. Don't worry I will not inform anyone. Even I'm not lunatic. I just need a company in this mad place. I'm happy to see a sane person here"
I nodded. The noise made by a couple of inmates were deafening our ears. We decided to go to the remote corner of our garden.
He asked me as we walked in the garden, "So why are you here?"
I said, "I killed my business partner.. not really a murder. We'd some difference in profit sharing and were having a heated conversation. I just pushed him and he fell down."
He asked, "Did he fell onto some sharp object or something..?"
I said, "No. He just fell from the 10th floor"
He nodded and said, "So you are faking it to escape prison"
"Yep that's the best way, my lawyer advised", I said.
We then sat in a bench. I asked, "So what crime you committed"
He said coldly, "No crime.. its all b'coz of those god worshippers"
I stared at him, he looked at me and said, "No I'm not an atheist. I worship God and that exactly brought me here".
I got a little curious. He continued, "If you just see how we worship. It looks very archaic. You know why they show aarthi".
He dint wait for my reply. He said, "B'coz during olden days there were no electricity. So it will be very dark inside the temple. Aarthi was to make the God visible."
I nodded, he continued, "Why do we wave God with hand fan"
I said, "B'coz in olden days there were no fans and AC"
His eyes became bright, he exclaimed, "Exactly! Do you know why we carry the idol in a chariot..b'coz in olden days King is supreme.. and Kings were carried in chariot. We dono who God is so we give Him the highest human status"
I said, "Now we don't have kings"
"Yes", he said, "So we need to change this worship. We need to make something that can give some sense to ppl"
There were a couple of minutes of silence. We both were in deep contemplation.
Finally he broke the silence. He said, "In this world, truth has no value. Whatever is the thing which is followed by more ppl.. 'popular belief' can be the right word..is considered truth. Heard of the story of a man who said earth is round but he was ridiculed as mad man... why? b'coz the popular belief at that time was 'earth is flat'"
I asked, "So what you did?"
He said, "I changed the system. I changed the ritual of worship and those ppl labeled me as mad man"
"What exactly you did?"
He stood up, his eyes wide open, he said, "I changed everything. Instead of doing Milk and Honey abhishegam I bathed God with soap. Instead of decorating His head with a throne I gave Him cooling glass. I gave Him Pizza, Pasta. This worship was something which I can easily identify with.. which makes a lot of sense..Why are you looking at me like that.. I'm not Lunatic!"

No comments:

Post a Comment